Today is a special day in Iceland. Today most people put up their Christmas Tree and decorate it. We cook our smoked lamb today (we eat it the 25th) and the smoke smell in the house is wonderful (not sure if my fellows at 69th Ave.N.liked it every Dec.23rd last 3 years). We clean our houses as good as we can and even put up some more decorations. Many people eat stinky, rotten fish but we eat salted fish. The stores are open to 11 in the evening (the only day a year) and people finish buying their last Christmas gifts. Some people like to deliver their last gifts or cards this day and some people like to throw a party. We like to have a very nice cofffie table around 4 o´clock and just see if someone shows up. We don´t expect anyone today though since we don´t know many people here. And for me, and many other people too, which makes this day very special are the Christmas greetings on the radio. They start with church bells ringing on the radio, the same since I was a kid, and then the whole day the greetings are red until til about midnight.
I love to finally be in Iceland this precious day!
Tomorrow is our main Christmas day. I´ll write about it tomorrow.
Love you guys!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
That all sounds so sweet! (O.k., maybe not the stinky rotten fish part...) I'll be over promptly at 4:00 for coffee (in my heart). I hope this is a refreshing Christmas for you, that God would reach in and fill your heart with more Joy than you have ever known before!
LOVE and HUGS!!!
Post a Comment